Thursday, September 10, 2020

Welcome

 Decentralizing Movies is one person's attempt at thinking about the media we consume outside of the white-male frame. The person in question (myself) is not a film critic, film scholar,  filmmaker, or even a particularly huge film buff.

Instead, I am an artist, a musician, a multi-racial person of color, a member of the LGBTQ+ community, and someone who identifies as a woman (mostly). 

This blog was spawned for a few reasons.

1. I was trying to think of movie "masterwork" lists that included people of color or women/non-binary directors. What I found on the internet was largely white-male centric. This has a lot to do with the history of the medium and the kinds of people who generally are allowed to be directors in Hollywood.

2. I have a habit of obsessively researching after watching any movie. Ever. I have done this since I was in high school. From anything from obscure art films to Marvel movies. I want all the details.

3. I tend to write extremely lengthy facebook posts about what I think about these movies, and by far and large, they tend to be the #1 most liked/loved/commented on posts I ever write. 

When it comes to white-male directed films, I'll still post about them on facebook. You bet I'm going to be watching Dune (2020) when it comes out, and you can bet I'll write about it on facebook. I'm not going to be throwing away my beloved Lord of the Rings trilogy anytime soon. 

But for the sake of this blog, I will only be writing reviews about movies which were Directed (very specifically, directed. Not Produced, not starring, but directed) by POC and/or non-cisgender men. 

Additionally, I will not be reviewing TV shows. Don't get me wrong, I watch TV shows with largely the same lens, but typically less research is involved. So don't expect to see a review of Lovecraft Country here (even though I do love that show, deeply). 

That's all for now, let's get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment